All You Need To Know About A Garden Tractor
Garden tractors are primarily used for mowing lawns. They are a must when your gardens produce agricultural goods. It helps you with agricultural work like loading and unloading the agricultural inputs.
In case of small gardens, garden tractors are not that useful. Instead, small lawn tractors can be used for the same function. Gardens with an area of around 2 to 3 acres can make use of lawn tractors for mowing. Small lawn tractors come in capacities of 4 to 6 HP. A lawn tractor is also a cheaper option as compared to a garden tractor.
However, with lawn tractors you have limited functionalities. They cannot be used for other work like carrying heavy loads etc. Hence a garden tractor tends to be a very useful piece of machinery to have around. The work done by garden tractors is very fast as compared to lawn tractors. So you stand to save a lot of time. It can be used for various purposes like aerating the field, leveling the driveway and hauling the firewood from the corners of the garden. Even a small machine can do heavy work like removal of stones in garden and shifting of stones for improving the look of the garden.
A garden tractor can get a little heavy on your pocket. However, it is an investment that can save a lot of your money in future by being of great help in various tasks which would have otherwise required a lot of time and efforts. It can also turn out to be an asset for you by making money for you if you give it out on rent.
Selecting A Garden Tractor
Choose a machine keeping the area of your garden in mind. If your garden is less than one acre, you can opt for a small tiller of 2 – 3 HP. If the area of your garden is around 5 acres and if your garden has large boulders, you can go for a large tractor of 15 – 20 HP. For normal maintenance of the garden, a smaller tractor would be enough.
Once you have your garden tractor, it is necessary that you learn to operate it safely. You must read the given manual carefully. Even a minor accident can prove to be risky. Hence adopt suitable precautions must be taken to avoid mishaps.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind –
– Always make sure that the machine is working properly.
– Using seat belts while driving is a must. It may help avoid any major injuries.
– When you are planning to carry heavy load on a new route, its better you first walk through the route to locate the obstructions, if any.
– Be careful while you drive. A little carelessness may turn out to have devastating effects.
– Use hand brakes after stopping to avoid movement due to gravity.
Fuel is essential for a garden tractor. Hence the excess usage of fuel will definitely increase your costs. Try to make maximum use of fuel without wasting. Here are a few tips for you –
– Check that the tractor is in good condition. – Keep checking and changing the fuel filters regularly. Get your tractor serviced regularly. Clean the injectors regularly. – Clean and change air filters regularly. – Do not overload.
With proper care and use, you garden tractor can be a great asset to you and of course, your garden!